Do you really want to grow your Twitter following, but maybe you just don’t know where to start? Even worse, maybe you don’t even really understand how to use Twitter (don’t worry, most of us don’t get this right away!)
Today, we want to give you a hand – and we have put together a few Twitter “tips” that will help you and/or your business become noticed and therefore gain more followers!
- Your profile – Make sure your profile photo is relevant to your brand. Your bio should be clear to followers – make sure you tell them exactly what you do. Quirky land lighthearted bio’s also do great, as long as it is a match to you/your business. You still need to make sure what you/your company has to offer is clear.
- Use images when you tweet – Did you know that photos are 94% more likely to be retweeted? Yes! Awesome photos make for a fun visual feed that people will notice. You can easily find free templates for twitter images (that you can customize) on free editing websites like canva.com.
- Be consistent & interact – Post consistently and share great content; most importantly – interact! Twitter feeds fill up fast and are constantly updating! Chances are, unless you are tweeting something regularly throughout the day, people are missing it. If you really want to be seen on twitter, you should be posting approximately 6 times a day.
You can automate this process and schedule tweets to be posted by using programs like Post Planner. With programs like Post Planner, you can schedule multiple posts and you can choose the dates and times you would like them posted. They also have thousands of pre-made photos or posts you can use.
a) Posting 5 – 6 times a day – at least 3 of those posts should include a photo
b) Replying to tweets from others
c) Comment on a few tweets in your timeline (making connections with followers)
d) Re-tweet at least 1 or 2 (or more) relevant tweets that catch your attention
e) Follow 5 new people in your industry/niche (you can find them by easily searching your industry / niche or relevant hashtag on Twitter search)
Please note, because Twitter moves so fast, posting regularly throughout the day is okay. You do not want to post as many times a day on any other social media platform.
- Include a call to action in your tweets – Let your followers know what you want them to do with the information. Do you want them to visit a website? Do you want them to click a particular link? Maybe you want them to simply re-tweet and tell their friends & followers? Or, maybe you simply want them to interact and respond to a question (i.e.: “what is your favorite ____”). However, do not do this if you are having conversation via tweets.
Since Twitter only allows 140 characters, do your best to keep it short. You can also shorten URLs so they do not take up most of your characters by using URL shortening services like bit.ly.
- Pin a tweet to the top of your profile – Twitter now has a “Pin to top” option. This means, you can choose your best or favorite tweet to be the first one seen when anyone visits your twitter profile. Simply go to a post you would like pinned, click on the drop down icon to the right of your tweet and select “Pin to your profile page”. This tweet will now move to the top of your page and it will stay there until you “un-pin” it (the same process is used to un-pin the tweet later)
- BONUS – Incorporate relevant hashtags – Hashtags are a powerful way for you to expand your reach and connect with related conversations. Focus on keywords that are relevant to your business. It’s recommended not to use more than two hashtags per tweet.One simple way to incorporate hashtags is by identifying popular events to which you can link your business in an authentic way. Remember, these can be everyday, personal events like meals or commutes, as well as wider cultural events, like Valentine’s Day or Chinese New Year.
Ideally, you will need some time each day to complete these tasks (about 20-30 minutes). However, if you can automate all or some of your tweets, then you will only need a few minutes per day to interact and approximately 1 day of each week or every couple weeks to setup your automation.
We hope these tips work for you and help start building your twitter followers. Is there certain things you do on Twitter that work for you? Please share by commenting below or just let us know how these tips are working for you.